Absolutely Literate

Monday, October 15, 2012

Historical Mysteries lead to More Questions



I love a good “who-done-it”. I am a big fan of Murdoch Mysteries. I enjoy how the show melds early forensic techniques, history, and humour into an entertaining hour.

I am also a history geek so I find the show often leaves me with questions. Did Timothy Eaton really hold inventor fairs? When did the Black Hand come to North America? In the case of “Who Killed the Electric Carriage?” I wanted to know how much was fact and how much was fabrication. Did Henry Ford race his combustion engine against an electric car? 

I am not concerned if they played with the historical facts to make a good story but it would enhance my viewing experience to know what was fact, what was extrapolation, and what was fabrication. As a writer, I want to know what was the inspiration for the plot. It would be interesting, for me, to know if the plot was inspired by true events found in an old newspaper or a family story.

I quite often end up doing some research after an episode. I would love it if the creators of the series added a historical references page to their website; links to historical newspapers and online exhibits, etc.

For more thoughts on historical research join me Tuesday, October 16th, 2012 @ 7pm-9pm at the
Golden Ears Writers Lobby Night at the Maple Ridge Arts and Culture Theatre (The ACT).
There is no charge for admission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Absolutely Literate welcomes your feedback and comments on our articles. We intend to be courteous and professional in our postings and ask that you do the same.

Comments posted to our blog will go through a moderation process, but should be posted within a reasonable amount of time provided they don’t contain content that:

- is abusive
- uses offensive language
- is off-topic
- is obviously spam
- violates copyright
All comments made on the Absolutely Literate blog are the responsibility of the commenter, not the blog owner, administrator, contributor, editor or author. By submitting a comment on our blog, you agree that the comment content is your own, and to hold our organization, Absolutely Literate, and all subsidiaries and representatives harmless from any and all repercussions, damages or liability.

My Blog List